pun_logo

The Society for the study of flies (Diptera)

Affiliated to the British Entomological and Natural History Society (BENHS)

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-20 21:16:10

Alan Outen
DF Members
Name: Alan Outen

A possible Sciomyzid

I swept several individuals of this species from a Carex bed at Stanford Wood, Beds on 19 Nov 2010. 

I hope I am right in thinking Sciomyzidae and possibly (??????!) somewhere near Renocera pallida?

Any suggestions much appreciated

Many thanks

Alan

Uploaded Images

Last edited by Alan Outen (2010-11-20 21:18:28)

#2 2010-11-21 00:38:08

malcolmsmart
Committee
Name: Malcolm Smart

Re: A possible Sciomyzid

This is a Norellisoma species (N. spinimanum?) female. The rounded head profile is characteristic of the family Scathophagidae and the spines on the front femur + tibia characteristic of the genus.
Malcolm

#3 2010-11-21 14:36:05

Stephane Lebrun
Name: Stephane Lebrun

Actually, this is a female of Norellia spinipes (assuming N. tipularia is not present in the UK) : the front tibia bears only one row of long spines (2 rows in Norellisoma, on both, postero-dorsal and postero-ventral position), and there is only one postsut. dc (usually 3 in Norellisoma). This species is a spring species associated with daffodils, but some specimen can occur in Autumn.

Regards,
Stephane.

#4 2010-11-21 18:13:46

malcolmsmart
Committee

I have to agree with you! Before making my previous response I had compared the pictures with specimens of both species from the same angle. It was not possibe to see whether there were one or 2 rows of spines present from that angle and it is not possible in the pictures above either for the same reason but the dc bristles are clear. The N spinimanum specimen that I used had the dorsocentral bristles broken off!

To be truthful, I suppose that did not consider Norellia spinipes seriously enough because it is so rare in Britain and seems to be usually only found in gardens or other places where there are daffodils - so the habitat described above sounded too unlikely. Perhaps Alan Outen can confirm whether there could be daffodils planted in the vicinity of his Carex bed? It would be interesting for him to visit the site during the next daffodil flowering season when he should find lots of the flies on and around the flowers, leaves and stems. I have seen one specimen captured at spring-time in a malaise trap in a cattle-grazed orchard but when I visited the site of the trap the following spring I found a colony of Norellia on clumps of daffodils in the farm garden just about 25m from where the trap had been set.

This is a good example of how very dangerous it can be to make confident identifications of flies from pictures only.
Malcolm

#5 2010-11-21 19:12:07

malcolmsmart
Committee

Further to the above, back in April 2009 I put out a call for members to look out for Norellia spinipes and let me know if they found it.
Daffodil Fly . I'm still very interested - has anyone else seen it?
Malcolm

Last edited by malcolmsmart (2010-11-21 19:13:58)

#6 2010-11-21 19:24:19

Alan Outen
DF Members
Name: Alan Outen

Very many thanks to you both. Yet another major gafffe on my part in attempting to make an identification though it helps to get the right family! I have retained two specimens if you would like one or both of them Malcolm.

Best wishes

Alan

Board footer