pun_logo

The Society for the study of flies (Diptera)

Affiliated to the British Entomological and Natural History Society (BENHS)

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-12 12:06:20

conopid
DF Members
Name: Nigel Jones
Website

Fly ID challenge - fly with unusual venation

I've posted this on the new website as well.

This Muscid (? it has no hypopleural bristles) has a very unusual shaped cross vein Dm-Cu. I don't think I have seen it before. It is badly damaged, but maybe there is enough to point to what it may be?

The specimen is part of a sample collected from a conservatory in parkland near Shrewsbury.

Uploaded Images

Nigel Jones
Shropshire

#2 2019-03-12 13:05:18

Howard Bentley
Committee
Name: Howard Bentley

Re: Fly ID challenge - fly with unusual venation

The orange tip to the scutellum and the forward curve of the M-vein suggest Muscina. Looking through some images, M. pascuorum has a very bent Dm-Cu crossvein, though not as extreme as in your specimen, and although Gregor et al. describe it as Holarctic it's not on the British list. Surely there must have been hypopleurals at some time; broken off? This one's a real mystery.

#3 2019-03-12 14:57:18

AliCullaloe
DF Members
Name: Ali Shuttleworth
Website

+1 for Muscina. I'd have had this as M.levida (assimilis RES key) and not have worried (enough?) about the x-vein. The RES key has wing figures (Fig 7), but obviously not for pascuorum, which I think has an even more attenuated convergence of veins, with them tending towards parallel apically.

caveat: I'm no expert!

#4 2019-03-12 16:45:02

Tony Irwin
DF Members
Name: Tony Irwin

I'd agree with Ali - this has the right venation for levida. Normally this species has black legs, but this specimen looks like it's been in the conservatory a while, and has probably faded. [Having had a few recently, I think I recognise a "senior moment" - Muscina is a muscid and ought not to have hypopleurals wink]

#5 2019-03-13 13:53:29

Howard Bentley
Committee
Name: Howard Bentley

A senior moment indeed - confusing hypopleurals with sternopleurals. More used to the newer names, merals and katepisternals, these days. Apologies.

#6 2019-03-13 14:19:13

conopid
DF Members
Name: Nigel Jones
Website

Yes, well diagnosed those chaps. On comparison with Specimens of Muscina It is certainly Muscina, and probably levida - my specimens show this cross vein shape, but not nearly as exaggerated as in this specimen.

Yes the specimen was up to ten days in the conservatory in last summer's broiling heat and brightness.

Thanks for your assistance.

Nigel Jones
Shropshire

Board footer