pun_logo

The Society for the study of flies (Diptera)

Affiliated to the British Entomological and Natural History Society (BENHS)

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-07 21:07:49

Alan Outen
DF Members
Name: Alan Outen

A black fly species from Sandy Lodge

I caught this neat black female fly at Sandy Lodge, RSPB reserve, Beds on 4 Nov 18 when I was leading the annual fungus foray. I was struck by the red eyes and the plum colour on the underside of the rear of the abdomen. I was trying to show this in a normally posed image but it was very difficult so in the end had to put the specimen in the freezer for a couple of minutes. It soon revived for further images but still difficult to show this feature well.  I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to what th e species might be. I have retained the specimen
Many thank

Alan

Uploaded Images

#2 2018-11-08 00:57:03

schultmay
DF Members
Name: Barbara Ismay

Re: A black fly species from Sandy Lodge

Hi Alan,
It is a sphaerocerid for certain. We cannot quite see some characters, but our best bet is Borborillus vitripennis, but you should check it against Pitkin's key in the RES or bring it on Saturday / Sunday to the AGM if you are coming.
Best wishes,

John and Barbara

#3 2018-11-09 01:55:19

Alan Outen
DF Members
Name: Alan Outen

Re: A black fly species from Sandy Lodge

Hello John and Barabra

Many thanks for this and apologies for the delay in my reply. As I indicated in my other thread I have been trying to ascertain whether I can get a lift on Saturday. This is now sorted to I will be there and will bring the flies. I look forward to seeing you both (and others) again.

Alan

Board footer