pun_logo

The Society for the study of flies (Diptera)

Affiliated to the British Entomological and Natural History Society (BENHS)

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-18 23:22:29

Geoff F
DF Members
Name: Geoff Foale

Which Tetanocera?

OK, I am just guessing Tetanocera because I don't have the required confirmation angles from these photos and this is a group which always gives me problems. But if I am correct,  is it possible to get any further? I have tried with two keys but just grind to a halt or end up with a questionable result. It seems to me as though I'm getting a mixture of species here; so maybe I am making a fundamental error somewhere.

About a week ago outside a damp South Devon wood.

Uploaded Images

#2 2017-10-19 17:57:18

oxycera
DF Members
Name: John Coldwell

Re: Which Tetanocera?

Could be T.hyalipennis, although admittedly it is difficult to decide whether or not the frons is completely shiny.

#3 2017-10-19 20:09:38

Geoff F
DF Members
Name: Geoff Foale

Thanks for your reply. In some ways it is comforting to find that a more experienced person is also uncertain over this fly.

The decision between shiny and matt frons is something which I always find difficult. There isn't a distinct mid frontal band and the occiptal spot is well divided by a dark brown band. Maybe the legs are a bit on the long and slender side and the femora setae seem similar to hyalipennis. But I'm not sure about the wing colours and dark edges?

Possibly this is going to be another of those 'unidentified possibly . . .' entries. Which I suppose is reasonable when there are just a couple of quick photographs to work from.

#4 2017-10-19 22:04:56

oxycera
DF Members
Name: John Coldwell

On an actual specimen under the microscope the frons character shouldn't be a problem.

Board footer