pun_logo

The Society for the study of flies (Diptera)

Affiliated to the British Entomological and Natural History Society (BENHS)

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-18 14:40:56

jimmymac2
DF Members
Name: James McCulloch
Website

Tipulid, perhaps Nephrotoma flavipalpis

I found this tipulud today in my garden in south Surrey, as I was going through the moth trap. It looks similar to Nephrotoma flavescens or N.flavipalpis however the markings on the abdomen seem too broad for the former and too narrow for the latter. Is is either of these or a different species altogether?

Thanks,
James

Uploaded Images

#2 2017-06-18 21:07:11

Geoff F
DF Members
Name: Geoff Foale

Re: Tipulid, perhaps Nephrotoma flavipalpis

A few Nephrotoma are fairly straightforward but others are quite tricky and require close examination. Also that is a rather small image.

However, until an expert comes along, have a look at quadrifaria ? That black streak across the wing and what appears to be roughly triangular dark abdomen marks are typical of that species.

#3 2017-06-18 22:02:49

jimmymac2
DF Members
Name: James McCulloch
Website

Thanks Geoff, luckily I still have the specimen in case close examination is necessary. I wasn't aware any species existed other than flavipalpis or flavescens, but I was only looking at a single website. I agree that the markings on N. quadrifaria do look similar to my fly.

#4 2017-06-25 10:45:21

johnkramer
DF Members
Name: John Kramer

Yes, I agree with Geoff.  This is N. quadrifaria.  It is the only British species with the black wing markings bordering the veins right across the wing, as in your specimen.  It is quite common, the larvae living in damp soil.
John K

Board footer