pun_logo

The Society for the study of flies (Diptera)

Affiliated to the British Entomological and Natural History Society (BENHS)

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-18 11:28:32

Chrisbentley
DF Members
Name: Chris Bentley
Website

Dolichopus excisus

Does any body know what the defining features of females Dolichopus excisus are? (if, being a female it can be reliably identified).

#2 2016-08-22 15:52:36

Martin Drake
Committee
Name: Martin Drake

Re: Dolichopus excisus

David Gibbs added excisus to the British list in Dipterist Digest 13 (1), 5-10.  He examined some females caught together with males from Jersey, and gives a key to females of the group of hairy-faced Dolichopus.  Worth pointing out that Jon Cole, many years ago, suggested that nubilus and latilimbatus females cannot be reliably separated on the feature that David repeats in his key, and I'm inclined to agree with Jon.  David says the best feature to separate excisus is the slightly developed anal lobe, which he illustrates.  Here is his key, numbered to slot into Fonseca:
20  Hind tibia entirely yellow.... andalusiacus
-  Hind tibia distincly darkened at apex, especially on posterior face.   21
21  Hind femur dorsallyat tip only feedbly brown, hind tibia only brownish at apex, even on posterior face ... latilimbatus
-  Hind femur dorsally at tip distinctly blackish brown, hind tibia distinctly blackish posteriorly at apex.  21a
21a  Anal lobe slightly but distinctly developed (Fig. 6).  Outer face of fore coxa darkened for more than half its length. Arista shorter and a little thicker (Fig. 8). Blackish apicodorsal spot on hind femur larger.  excisus
-  Anal lobe not at all developed, hind wing margin smooth (Fig. 7), Fore coxa darkened at extreme base only.  Arista longer and  finer (Fig. 9).  Blackish apicodorsal spot on find femur smaller.  nubilus.

I've not seen it (knowingly) so don't know whether this works in practice.

Martin Drake

#3 2016-08-24 10:47:22

Chrisbentley
DF Members
Name: Chris Bentley
Website

Re: Dolichopus excisus

Thanks Martin. Ian Andrews e-mailed me a copy of the same  key and I've tried to run it through but the specimen is not in perfect condition. I'll be back at the site I caught the female (Seaford Head) at some point so will try to get a male and see how that goes

Last edited by Chrisbentley (2016-08-24 10:47:35)

Board footer