pun_logo

The Society for the study of flies (Diptera)

Affiliated to the British Entomological and Natural History Society (BENHS)

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-12 00:10:02

Gateside
DF Members
Name: Nigel Gilligan

Calliphoridae query

I am fairly convinced that this is a Calliphoridae species, but I have not been able to take it any further.

I did wonder at the outset whether it might be (for instance) Cynomya mortuorum, with which it has some similarities, like the yellow-orange face colour combined with the blue abdomen, but this one is really dumpy and squat, ... in fact more so than a selection of Calliphora I've looked at. The abdomen looks notably wider than the thorax. And I don't think the venation is quite right either. So I am stabbing in the dark really.

I only have these 2 views. It's a pity I don't have a flat, broadside view...
Seen 29th Sept.

Nigel

Uploaded Images

#2 2014-11-12 12:37:41

oxycera
DF Members
Name: John Coldwell

Re: Calliphoridae query

I think you're ok with Cynomya.

#3 2014-11-12 14:39:39

Gateside
DF Members

I've been looking around, John.
From what I've seen, my fly is so broad at the rear, it just doesn't seen right. All the valid images I can see have relatively narrow abdomens. Mine is presumably a female.
There are no other members of the Cynomya genus.

I wondered if it could be Calliphora subalpina?
I found this thread useful:
http://www.dipteristsforum.org.uk/viewt … 8105#p8105

Mine has quite a dusted thorax, with a vague striping effect. And from what I can see, 2 pre-sutural acrostical bristles, and 3 post-sutural. If that's right (see other thread), then it's not a Cynomya, which has only one.
I've had a look at various images, but none of them have a good enough view to check that fact anyway. So I don't know whether I'm talking through my hat (which wouldn't surprise me).

But it does look like it could be Calliphora subalpina ...

Nigel

#4 2014-11-12 15:01:54

Tony Irwin
DF Members
Name: Tony Irwin

Certainly a Calliphora female. It appears to have dark calypters and a pale basicosta, which would lead to vicina. Always a good idea to try to get a lateral shot, so the anterior spiracle colour can be seen as well.

#5 2014-11-12 19:18:04

oxycera
DF Members
Name: John Coldwell

Yes, after comparing actual specimens of Cynomya with your photo, the frons is mostly yellow. No doubt there are other more subtle differences.
Sorry about that.

#6 2014-11-12 20:00:19

Gateside
DF Members

I have seen somewhere that these species are normally done via a microscope, so I am happy to get to the right sort of area anyway. It was one of those flies that doesn't linger, so I lacked the usual selection of shots that I normally aim for. Ce la vie!

#7 2014-11-12 21:56:00

ChrisR
Administrator
Name: Chris Raper
Website

You can usually see the necessary features in photos but they do have to be of the right parts. Calliphora need decent, well let dorsal and in particular lateral photos smile

Board footer