pun_logo

The Society for the study of flies (Diptera)

Affiliated to the British Entomological and Natural History Society (BENHS)

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-02 01:30:39

colinleb
DF Members
Name: Colin Le Boutillier

Loxocera sp

I think this is Loxocera aristata.  Can anyone confirm please, or suggest an alternative.

A generally dark, slender fly.  Length excluding antennae 8.3 mm.  Wing length 5.5 mm. South Bedfordshire on damp meadow in late August.

Head:
Frons black with dark chocolate brown central triangle reaching to base of antennae and merging into black behind ocellar triangle, which is also black.  Occiput black.
Face receding, shining black down middle with silvery dusted stripe down each side.  Mouth edge narrowly yellowish.  Genae generally black, particularly  along lower edge, with dark brown vertical band along mouth edge and vague paler brown patch below eye posterior to that .  Prominent silver haired post-genal stripe.
Antenna 1 black.  Antenna 2 mid brown and as thick as base of flagellomere.  Flagellomere darker brown blackened towards the tip.  Arista yellow, pubescent.  Flagellomere and arista approximately the same length.
Palpi black.

Thorax:
‘Neck’ between head and thorax long, covered in short white hairs.
Dorsum black anteriorly and orange-brown posteriorly.  Two broad black vittae extend posteriorly into  orange-brown part but stop well short of the scutellum.  Scutellum orange-brown with 1 pair short crossed apical marginal bristles.  Humeri black.  Pleurae orange-brown.

Abdomen:  Black.

Legs:
All coxae orange-brown.  Remainder of legs dull yellow except for black tarsomeres 4-5 of tarsus 1 and 2, and the whole of tarsus 3. Tarsomere 3 of tarsus 1 also darkened distally.

Wings:
Hyaline and covered in microtrichiae, except basal cells, alula and small area at base of discal cell.

Specimen appears to fit with aristata in Collin’s key to Loxocera (colour of face and relationship of the parts of the antennae with one another).  Not such a good fit with Darwyn Sumner’s key to Diopsoidea prepared for the Dipterists Forum Acalyptrate Workshop (March 2004) but, ignoring the frons character part of couplet 63, it then cannot be sylvatica (humeri black), fulviventris (postgenal stripe present and no yellow patch below eye – but there is a brownish patch below the eye), or albiseta (face not yellow).  Good fit with Greve and Skartveit characters for aristata “body length 7-10 mm, no dorsocentral bristles, head black above, frons with a brownish triangle, genae somewhat brownish, front part of thorax dorsally black otherwise reddish brown or brownish”.

References:
Collin, J.E. 1944a. The British species of Psilidae (Diptera). Entomologist's monthly Magazine 80: 214-224.
Greve, L. & Skartveit, J. 2001. The genus Loxocera (Psilidae, Diptera) in Norway. Norw. J. Entomol. 48, 329-334

Uploaded Images

Last edited by colinleb (2014-09-02 01:31:35)

#2 2014-09-03 13:07:55

pbrighto
DF Members
Name: Phil Brighton

Re: Loxocera sp

I have a female specimen, which I have recorded as L. aristata, from last July, swept from long grass at Lancaster University.  I consulted Darwyn Sumner as recording scheme organiser.  He had some reservations about the Dipterists Forum keys in view of some recent publications.   He sent me copies of these.  One in particular contained information on additional characters separating L. aristata from the other British Loxocera species, which are in a different subgenus.   I will send you a copy of the paper privately.   Your description and photos certainly have a strong resemblance to my specimen.

#3 2014-09-03 20:06:05

colinleb
DF Members

Thanks Phil - I look forward to receiving that

Colin

#4 2014-09-04 12:05:37

pbrighto
DF Members
Name: Phil Brighton

Colin - did you get an e-mail from me via the DF website?   You need to respond to it so that I have your e-mail address for sending the paper.   Phil.

#5 2014-09-04 17:27:37

colinleb
DF Members

Sadly not Phil and as I have never received a response from anyone I have tried to contact by that route I suspect I need to do something to my account settings, but I know not what.
My e-mail address is colinleb@hotmail.com

Board footer