pun_logo

The Society for the study of flies (Diptera)

Affiliated to the British Entomological and Natural History Society (BENHS)

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-27 11:15:49

Rainieria
Committee
Name: Darwyn Sumner
Website

Psilidae - most recent key

I put the following on diptera.info I guess it's of value here too. (http://www.diptera.info/forum/viewthrea … d_id=59749)

Anatole Shatalking & Bernhard Merz seem to have the latest key to European species in this paper (even though it only says Switzerland):

Shatalkin, A.I. et al., 2010. The Psilidae ( Diptera , Acalyptrata ) of Switzerland , with description of two new species from Central Europe. , 117(4), pp.771800.

Note that it also adopts the new Buck & Marshall classification, so you'll see Imantimyia as a new genus name for some Loxocera.

Buck, M. & Marshall, S.A., 2006. Revision of New World Loxocera ( Diptera : Psilidae ), with phylogenetic redefinition of Holarctic subgenera and species groups. , pp.193219.

I've yet to check the compatibility of this with records and specimens but there were no signs of problems in Graham Rotheray's recent article in Dipterists Digest. Checklists will still show the old names of course, keep an eye open for what Peter Chandler says in Dipterists Digest and changes in species dictionary lists (such as in Recorder 6) won't be seen for a little while.
I was able to download both from the internet I think, if you have trouble locating them then let me know.

Darwyn Sumner
DF Bulletin Editor, Scheme Organiser: Stilt & Stalk Flies

#2 2014-03-28 10:51:34

Rainieria
Committee
Name: Darwyn Sumner
Website

Re: Psilidae - most recent key

Add

Bygebjerg, R., Munk, T. & Elnif, J. Chyliza leguminicola Melander, 1920 (Diptera: Psilidae) new to the Palaearctic fauna. Entomol. Meddelelser 79, 7384 (2011).

This is a recent addition and Bygebjerg provides an updated key to European species of Chyliza. Check out garden lupins.

Darwyn Sumner
DF Bulletin Editor, Scheme Organiser: Stilt & Stalk Flies

#3 2014-04-01 11:51:23

muscapaul
DF Members
Name: Paul Beuk
Website

Re: Psilidae - most recent key

Board footer