pun_logo

The Society for the study of flies (Diptera)

Affiliated to the British Entomological and Natural History Society (BENHS)

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-22 20:06:27

RobWolton
Committee
Name: Rob Wolton

Xanthandrus

I swept a female Xanthandrus today from maritime grassland on a high cliff edge on the north Devon coast.  It has no spots on the seond tergite, those on the third and fourth are yellow rather than orange, and the abdomen is thinner than the two previous females I have seen before.  Does this new specimen (see photo) fall within the normal range of variation of X comptus?  (The wings are crumpled, suggesting this may be a teneral specimen - although the habitat is wrong for larval development, or it may be just because they got damaged, the grass being wet.)

I would welcome any comments.  Regards, Rob

Uploaded Images

#2 2013-09-22 20:22:12

conopid
DF Members
Name: Nigel Jones
Website

Re: Xanthandrus

Hello Rob,
I think you are right. This is probably a teneral specimen. Nice find though. I took my first in several years, a few weeks ago.

Nigel Jones
Shropshire

#3 2013-09-22 22:48:49

malcolmsmart
Committee
Name: Malcolm Smart

You are correct. The abdominal markings in X. comptus are very variable. I have a very similarly marked speicimen from Vales Moor in the New Forest and also a specimen with  the spots on tergites 3 & 4 almost coalesced into bands. The crumpled glassy wings are typical of a teneral specimen.
Malcolm

#4 2013-09-23 12:54:15

RobWolton
Committee
Name: Rob Wolton

Thank you, Nigel and Malcolm.  Looks like the presence of spots on tergite 2 is not quite the diagnostic feature suggested in some books.  Rob

Board footer