pun_logo

The Society for the study of flies (Diptera)

Affiliated to the British Entomological and Natural History Society (BENHS)

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-20 23:16:47

Rainieria
Committee
Name: Darwyn Sumner
Website

Welcome

Welcome to the Stilt & Stalk Fly forum.

As organiser of this scheme in the UK I suppose I've got to try for some kind of a general introduction to this Recording Scheme. As a regular reader of Diptera.info I suspect that contributors to that site might visit this one from time to time and would appreciate some form of explanation.

The peculiar name comes from the two superfamilies which comprise the group. The Nerioidea includes the families Pseudopomyzidae and Micropezidae (members of the latter are frequently termed "Stilt-flies") and the superfamily Diopsoidea which regrettably has no members of the family Diopsidae ("Stalk-eyed flies") in the UK but does have Tanypezidae, Strongylophthalmyiidae, Megamerinidae and Psilidae.

I have a worldwide interest in these groups so visitors need have no hesitation about posting topics. With a scheme covering such a wide range of families my expertise is inevitably patchy but the winter months will find me trying to make sense of keys written in Russian and the summer months, camera in hand, in England, Scotland and the Suisse Normande, trying to snap something even closely resembling the quality of the pictures on the Diptera.info site.

Last edited by Rainieria (2008-03-06 10:58:27)

Darwyn Sumner
DF Bulletin Editor, Scheme Organiser: Stilt & Stalk Flies

Board footer