pun_logo

The Society for the study of flies (Diptera)

Affiliated to the British Entomological and Natural History Society (BENHS)

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-16 22:32:17

falky
Name: Steven Falk

New on-line resource for British horseflies

I'm having a bit of fun wth Flickr Pro and have produced the following folder for tabanids:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63075200@N … 222215242/

Plans for many more families and wildlife groups planned, but grateful for any feedback on this trial. If I can improve my down-the-microscope-set-up, I'd like to eventually add photos of specific diagnostic features. Sometimes one image can say a hundred words.

Falky

www.stevenfalk.co.uk
artist-naturalist-photographer

#2 2012-03-18 21:19:33

JohnShowers
Committee
Name: John Showers
Website

Re: New on-line resource for British horseflies

Very useful, Steve. Apart from the excellent shots of the flies, I like the habitat shots too. If you can produce diagnostic shots that would be a real help.

#3 2012-03-18 23:56:48

Andrew Cunningham
DF Members
Name: Andrew Cunningham

This is excellent Steven, I have now bookmarked your Flickr account and told others of it. Thanks for doing this.

Regards,
Andrew.

#4 2012-03-19 03:58:49

falky

Things have moved on a tad since - I've added Bombyliidae, Anthomyzidae, Acroceridae and am working through Syrphids as I write this (making sure the spectacular stuff gets on first). Click on my photostream to see everything. It is not just an ID guide it's an out and out celebration of the incredible beauty of these creatures. Also recently discovered how to use Photoshop so sharpening up everything a tiny amount which makes quite a difference esp to tiny stuff like anthomyzids. All pictures taken with a mid-range 7 megapixel bridge camera (Olympus SP 550 UZ) set on super macro, using natural light. Just bough a Fuji Finepix S20, but I rate the Olympus as a better camera for insects (much better focussing and colour balance), but the Fuji has 30 times zoom of (=720mm) and is proving awesome for birds and mammals.

Just for info, some new insect artwork will be added to my website this week, including an Eristalis similis image which I was used in the BENHS paper that added it to the British list and the platypezid plate done for Fauna Ent Scand. Its not an advert, people can just look at them!

Cheers,

Falky

www.stevenfalk.co.uk

#5 2012-03-19 12:06:27

Andrew Cunningham
DF Members
Name: Andrew Cunningham

I am glad you said more of your camera because as a result of your images I am now watching eBay for decent used ones.

Cheers,
Andrew.

#6 2012-03-22 14:52:15

Judy Webb
Committee
Name: Judith Webb

Great horseflies and lovely golden horseflies - my favourites!! thanks, Steve.
Judy

#7 2012-03-24 04:15:11

falky

Just finished Asilidae - 20 of the 28 British species covered. Bombyliids finished last week. Might try  to finish Larger Brachycera before resuming work on Syrphids

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63075200@N07/collections/

I will keep tweaking the various folders, adding more habitats pictures and maybe photographing pinned material at places like Oxford'd Hope Department. I'm really blown away by Flickr.

Just for info' some new Diptera artwork on my website (platypezids and Eristalis similis).

Falky

www.stevenfalk.co.uk

Board footer