pun_logo

The Society for the study of flies (Diptera)

Affiliated to the British Entomological and Natural History Society (BENHS)

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-08 11:08:16

kreosmania
Name: Array Array

my FLY

Hello Everybody, I know some of you are experts therefore i am sure I can get some help on my question

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j63/k … C01171.jpg

Above is the photo of the fly I have recently found on my Patio ( I live in Spain and most of time wether is very hot and sunny), there are colonies of fly like this attacking my home. They are very fragile and small.
Can anyone help to recognize it ? Why do they appear and what are their favourite live conditions?
many thanks
kreos

Last edited by kreosmania (2008-10-08 11:09:35)

#2 2008-10-08 15:39:00

haematocephalus
DF Members
Name: Martin Harvey
Website

Re: my FLY

Looks like a member of the Psychodidae to me, otherwise known as moth-flies or owl-midges. As far as I known most of them have larvae that develop in water/damp conditions, where they feed on organic matter of various sorts, and/or on algae and bacteria. Different species are found in leaf-litter, in dung, in streams, in rot-holes in trees, etc.

Martin

Soldierflies and Allies Recording Scheme
http://www.brc.ac.uk/soldierflies-and-allies/

#3 2008-10-09 13:00:35

Andy chick
DF Members
Name: Andy Chick
Website

haematocephalus wrote:

Looks like a member of the Psychodidae to me, otherwise known as moth-flies or owl-midges. As far as I known most of them have larvae that develop in water/damp conditions, where they feed on organic matter of various sorts, and/or on algae and bacteria. Different species are found in leaf-litter, in dung, in streams, in rot-holes in trees, etc.

Martin

Id second that, Phil Withers is the expert on that particular group

#4 2008-10-21 15:02:40

Andy chick
DF Members
Name: Andy Chick
Website

also another common name is the drain flies, due to the fact they often breed in drains full of rotting organic matter

Board footer