pun_logo

The Society for the study of flies (Diptera)

Affiliated to the British Entomological and Natural History Society (BENHS)

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-27 22:29:22

PeterB
DF Members
Name: Peter Bolson

Crane Fly ID

I find loads of these in my moth trap. Are they female & male ( with a leg missing ) of the same species ? And what species is it ? The female had a WS of about 40mm, the male a bit smaller.
Thanks
Peter

Uploaded Images

Last edited by PeterB (2008-08-27 22:29:45)

#2 2008-09-01 00:30:23

KenMerrifield
Committee
Name: Ken Merrifield

Re: Crane Fly ID

They appear to me to be Tipula oleracea or Tipula paludosa. Craneflies of the genus Tipula have a characteristic dark front edge to the wings (not strong on the picture of the female). The wings of the female of Tipula paludosa do not reach the end of the abdomen whereas those of the female of Tipula oleracea reach to the end of the abdomen or beyond. If all the females are Tipula paludosa it would seem likely that the males are the same species. Males can be distinguished by the spacing between the eyes on the underside of the head, narrow (1 to 2 times thickness of antennae) in Tipula oleracea and wider (3 to 5 times antennae width) in Tipula paludosa. The latter is the common Autumn Cranefly that often occurs in large numbers, Tipula oleracea flies in the Summer and has a second brood in the Autumn.
There is a third British species in the genus; Tipula subcunctans, this is more of a grey colour, rarer, and normally occurs later in the year.

Last edited by KenMerrifield (2008-09-01 01:25:34)

#3 2008-09-01 10:18:41

johnkramer
DF Members
Name: John Kramer

Re: Crane Fly ID

Yes, I agree with Ken's full description. The brown front edge of the wing is just visible, and the female, with pointed ovipositor, seems to be T. paludosa, with abdomen longer than wings.

John Kramer (Now registered and logged in!)
Cranefly Recording Scheme

Board footer